Friday, May 29, 2009

Thing 33. Travel 2.0

Sure, I think travel sites are good for the library. I mean, as a supplement to the excellent travel guides that we have. I just don't find the user recommendations all that innovative or surprising (yet). It's that rule of the masses: more opinions don't mean more quality opinions. Unless someone is going to NYC, or London, or Hong Kong, there are not enough users at any one site to generate quality content. I want my content edited and vetted. Just like the selection process at the library or at my favorite radio station or even the grocery store: at some point I want to be able to rely on a trusted expert to tell me stuff, or show me stuff, or direct me to listen to stuff. I do use TripAdvisor because it has the most content, but I don't know that it is particularly wonderful. I mean, when people are rating chain hotels, it's hard to know what their standards are. Cause mine tend to be vastly different.
I thought some of the travel blogs were fun. Notes from the Road is truly one of the best looking blogs I have ever seen. The photos are lush and beautiful, and I like the tone of the writing. One of the sites that isn't included that I think is very useful is locally-created, but world encompassing VegGuide, for the vegetarian traveler. I'm not vegetarian, but I like to have the option, and I think it seems like a pretty good little resource. And what about wikitravel?

No comments: